A pre-school playgroup for visually impaired children aged 5 and below.
The sessions run twice a month, on the 1st and 3rd Friday. Parents and carers are supported to guide their children's early learning through play.
Staff at the playgroup are from the Low Incidence Team (Visual Impairment), part of Integrated Services for Learning, and are specialists in developing communication and play opportunities specific to the early development needs of children with a visual impairment.
Siblings are very welcome to attend too.
Attendance of this group is by invitation only - please contact the LIT VI if you would like to come along.
About the Visual Impairment Team
The Visual Impairment team consists of trained teachers and support staff who are additionally qualified in the education of children with a visual impairment.
The team is experienced in supporting children from pre-school age to post-16. For a pre-school child the support may take place in the home and/or in the pre-school setting. For a school age child support will be provided through their school.
Support for pre-school age children may include:
- working with families to develop the child's potential
- answering questions
- providing advice on how to help the child access the visual environment
- helping families to plan a programme of activities for the child and suggesting toys, games and books to help with this
- working with families to record the development of the child's skills and plan next steps
- providing information about parent support groups and other services that may be able to help the child, for example voluntary agencies
- providing training, guidance and advice on the development of mobility and orientation skills through our paediatric mobility specialists
Time: 9:45am - 11:45amLocation:
The Alban Way Children's Centres @ Marshalswick
Sherwood Avenue Recreation Ground, AL4 9QL